Verizon Wireless was kind enough to send over an evaluation unit. First impression, nice phone, like the style, like the rounded edges. Compared to some other phones, this one is easy to hold and doesn’t cut into your hand with hard corners. The screen is impressive, with the 1280 x 720 resolution on a 4.8″ screen size makes for great web browsing and the keyboard is easy to use in the portrait mode. I like the native Samsung keyboard as well. After playing with the keyboard, you have the ability to trace letters and entire words onto the keyboard area by touching the pencil at the bottom. On some apps you are also able to speak where you would like to type. The Gmail client allowed me to fill the entire email out and push the done key to send an email. I am impressed with the accuracy of the voice recognition software on the phone. Even better is the S Voice app from Samsung, right out of the box without training the phone, you can begin to send text messages, and make phone calls by just activating the S Voice app. The default activation words are “Hi Galaxy”, but when you setup the app you can choose any activation words you want. You can also double tap the home key to activate the voice command software.
I am looking forward to playing with the other features of the Samsung Galaxy S III phone over the next couple of days. For those looking there is a spec sheet listed below.
- Camera: 8.0MP rear facing camera with zero shutter lag and LED Flash, 1.9 MP front facing camera
- Camcorder: 1080p HD video capture (rear camera), 720p HD Video Capture (front facing camera)
- HD video, 720p HD on–device viewing
- DivX, H.263, H.264, MPEG4, VP8
- Video Player
- Audio Formats Supported: AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, MIDI, MP3, WMA, WAV
- Music Player
- Headset: 3.5mm Audio Jack
- Bluetooth® Profiles Supported: Headset, Handsfree, Serial Port, Stereo, Phonebook Access, Object Push (vCard & vCalendar only), Human Interface Device, and MAP Profiles
- Mobile Hotspot Capable
- Video Chat/Conference Capable
- Backup Assistant Capable
- Wi–Fi® Capable (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- Wi–Fi® Direct
- DNLA Capable
- Gmail; Google Talk; YouTube™, Google Calendar, Google Search, Google Maps, Play Music, Play Books, Play Movies, Latitude, Google +, Places, Play Store
- Over 400,000 apps & widgets available on Play Store
- Device Software Update – upgrade firmware over the air
- Text, Picture & Video Messaging with threaded messaging feature
- Speech to Text Feature
- Integrated Google Mobile Services , Microsoft Outlook Exchange contacts & calendar
- Allshare Play
- Face Unlock
- Media Hub
- S–Suggest (app recommendation engine)
- Tools: Calculator, Alarm Clock, World Clock, Stop Watch, Timer, Calendar, Memo & Voice Commands
- Proximity sensor
- Phonebook capacity dependant upon available memory
- TTY Compatible
- Hearing Aid Compatibility = M4
- LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
- Dimensions: 5.4” x 2.8” x .3”
- Weight: 4.7 oz.
- Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich Platform
- 4.8” 1280×720 16M HD Super AMOLED™ display
- Standard Battery – 2100 mAh
- Usage time – up to 15 hours OR; Standby time – up to 200 hrs
- Head: 0.48 W/kg ; Body–worn 1.29W/kg
Memory / Processor
- Dual core 1.5GHz processor & 2GB of RAM
- 16GB internal memory (actual formatted capacity is less)
- Supports up to 64GB microSD card (sold separately)
Verizon Wireless let us know about the release of the Samsung Galaxy Stellar Smartphone. See article below.
BASKING RIDGE, NJ and DALLAS, TX — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that they will offer the exclusive Samsung Galaxy Stellar™ starting Sept. 6 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
The easy-to-use 4G LTE enabled Samsung Galaxy Stellar is designed to be compact so it fits easily in a customer’s hand and makes the first-time smartphone experience simple. The Stellar features a dual interface option so customers can choose between Starter Mode or Standard Mode. Starter Mode features a simplified home screen display with preset widgets such as Favorite Apps, Favorite Contacts and Favorite Settings for quick and easy access to frequently used apps and settings. Starter Mode also features a quick dialer icon that allows customers to make phone calls directly from the home screen. Standard Mode provides customers with a more conventional layout and gives customers the traditional Android™ experience. The Stellar also includes a Help app that features guided tours and tips for changing settings and more, so customers can master their devices.
Samsung Galaxy Stellar customers can take advantage of blazingly fast 4G LTE connectivity to access an array of convenient and multimedia rich apps. A suite of Amazon apps is included that offers customers easy ways to discover content such as watching movie trailers on the IMDB app, downloading audio books with the Audible app, and one-click ordering with the Amazon shopping app. The Stellar also offers a variety of premium TV and film content for rent or purchase through the Samsung Media Hub.
The Galaxy Stellar is a SAFE™ (Samsung Approved For Enterprise) approved device featuring on-device AES 256-bit encryption, enhanced support for Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® and support for industry-leading Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions to make working on the go secure.
- 4G LTE – customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE coverage areas
- 4-inch WVGA display (800 x 480)
- Suite of Amazon apps includes Kindle, Shopping, MP3, Zappos, IMDB and Audible
- 1.2 dual-core GHz Snapdragon™ application processor
- Wi-Fi connectivity (802.11 a/b/g/n)
- microSD™ card slot with support for up to 32 GB
- Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich – support for Google Mobile™ Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 600,000 apps available to download from Google Play
- Front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video chat and 3.2-megapixel rear-facing camera with auto focus
- Backup Assistant Plus – media management and online storage service designed to help customers store and access media content such as music, videos, pictures, documents and contacts.
Samsung’s SAFE enterprise mobility solutions provide flexibility and connectivity for mobile workforces, ensuring that users are able to operate more efficiently while on–the-move.
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync® (EAS) – communicate directly with your Microsoft Exchange Server enabling push email, calendar and contacts
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) Support from Industry-Leading Solutions Providers – supports industry-standard VPN protocols to help users efficiently tap into VPN networks and MDM capabilities that allow IT departments to effectively safeguard employees’ mobile devices and corporate data.
- On Device Encryption –SAFE helps prevent unauthorized access to mobile data by leveraging the AES 256-bit encryption standard, encrypting all data, including app-specific internal data and internal/external memory.
Verizon Wireless let us know that the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 is coming this Friday to a Verizon dealer near you. Press release follows.
Affordable 7-inch Tablet with Access to Rich Multimedia on America’s Largest 4G LTE Network
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., and DALLAS – Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the latest addition to the Samsung Galaxy Tab portfolio, the Samsung Galaxy Tab® 2 (7.0), available beginning Aug. 17 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com. Galaxy Tab 2 customers will have access to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network which covers more than 75 percent of the U.S. population and will soon be available in more than 400 markets nationwide.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) features power and portability with its 4G LTE connectivity and 7-inch display making mobile entertainment easy. The Galaxy Tab 2 runs Android™ 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and comes loaded with multimedia-rich apps like Netflix and Samsung’s Media Hub for watching movies and TV shows while on the go or on the couch. Customers can also take advantage of the compact design and use the Amazon Kindle app to keep their favorite books with them at all times. The Peel Smart Remote app turns the Galaxy Tab 2 into a universal remote, helping customers easily find their favorite shows, while eliminating the need for multiple remote controls.
The Galaxy Tab 2 is also a SAFE™ (Samsung Approved For Enterprise) device featuring on-device AES-256 bit encryption, enhanced support for Microsoft® Exchange ActiveSync®, and support for industry-leading Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions. Additionally, the Galaxy Tab 2 can maximize productivity with the Polaris® Office application to easily create and edit documents. The app is optimized for tablets and has support for various file types like Microsoft Word, Excel®, PowerPoint®, Adobe® PDF, Zip files and more.
- 4G LTE – Customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage areas
- Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich – Support for Google Mobile™ Services including Gmail™, YouTube™, Google Talk™, Google Search™, Google Maps™ and access to more than 600,000 apps available to download from Google™ Play Store
- 3.2-megapixel rear-facing camera and VGA front-facing camera for video chat
- 1.2 GHz dual-core application processor
- Bluetooth® 4.0 technology
- Multiple video file formats supported, including DivX and XviD support
- Wi-Fi® Connectivity (802.11 b/g/n)
- 8 GB internal memory with support for up to 64 GB microSD™ card
Samsung’s SAFE mobility solutions provide flexibility and connectivity for mobile workforces, ensuring that customers are able to operate more efficiently on the move.
- Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) – Customers communicate directly with Microsoft Exchange Server enabling push email, calendar and contacts
- VPN and MDM support from Industry-Leading Solutions Providers – Supports industry-standard VPN protocols to help customers efficiently tap into VPN networks, and MDM capabilities that allow IT departments to effectively safeguard employees’ mobile devices and corporate data
- On Device Encryption – SAFE helps prevent unauthorized access to mobile data by leveraging the AES 256-bit encryption standard, encrypting all data, including app-specific internal data and internal/external memory
Price and availability
- The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.comstarting Aug. 17 for $349.99.
- Customers purchasing the Galaxy Tab 2 will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless data plan. Share Everything Plans allow customers to add the Galaxy Tab 2 to their account for $10 monthly access. For additional information, customers should go to: www.verizonwireless.com/shareeverything.
- For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
Sprint let us know that they are offering a free Galaxy Nexus, offer expires 8/13/2012. Check out the ad here.
Thanks to Verizon Wireless, I have the chance to evaluate the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7. First impressions, It is very fast and thin. This tablet is sturdy for its size and extremely easy to carry around. The 4G LTE signal has been great and very fast. The Wi-Fi radio is also very strong able to pick up signals better than some of my laptops. I am impressed with the ease of use and some of the factory installed apps. It picked up my gmail just fine, and also other accounts that I have. The Galaxy Tab is quick to respond to whatever I have asked it to do. My children have a good time using the Wet Paint app that allows them to draw pictures and save them to the tablet. On other platforms, I have had problems with this app, but on the Galaxy Tab 7.7 it worked flawlessly. I am able to run Angry Birds with no problems, all screen transitions and graphics run smooth. This tablet seem to have a better picture than some of the others I have encountered. Below is a list of features from the Verizon Wireless website. I am going to try to get the Home Theatre Manager app to run on the Galaxy Tab and will report on it next week.
||Touch Screen, Tablet
||Android 3.2, Honeycomb
||Auto Focus; Shot Modes, Action, Panorama, Single, Smile; Smile Shot; Geo-tagging; Editing Modes; TV-Out with HDMI Dock or Adapter; Online Image Uploading
||Video capture and playbac
|Dimensions (W x H x D)
||7.74″ x 5.24″ x 0.31
||Up to 13 hrs in 3G; Up to 12.5 hrs in 4G LTE
||Up to 16.25 Days in 3G; Up to 10.4 Days in 4G LTE
||SDHC/SHD SD Card
|Frequencies and Data Type
||1x/EV-DO RevA/LTE: 850/1900/700MHz
||Samsung Exynos 4210 1.4GHz Dual-core
|Main Display Resolution
||1280 x 800 WXGA
|Main Display Size
||6.5″ x 4.06″
|Main Display Technology
||Super AMOLED™ Plus
||Widgets; TouchWiz™ ; Social Hub; Smart Unlock
||Music Player; Compatible Music Files, AAC, AAC+, AC3, eAAC+, IMY, FLAC, MID, MP3, WAV, WMA; Audio, Streaming; Ringtones, Polyphonic; MP3/Music Tones
||Video Player; Compatible Video Files, 3G2, 3GP, AVI, DivX/XviD, FLV, H.263, H.264, MKV, MPEG4, WMV; Video, Streaming
|Fun and Entertainment
||Downloadable Content; Wallpapers, Animated; Samsung Widget Gallery; Samsung Media Hub; Netflix
|Business and Office
||Microsoft® Office-compatible; OCR/Business Card Scanner; vCard/vCalendar; Voice Memo; Quick Office Pro HD
||Email; Corporate Email; Instant Messaging; Swype™ ; Predictive Text (XT9®)
||Gyroscope, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Digital Compass, Proximity
Click here for a demo video of Galaxy on Fire 2 At the BlackBerry World™ keynote yesterday, Galaxy on Fire 2™ HD was demoed live on stage on the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet.
Follow this link:
Fishlabs announces Galaxy on Fire 2 HD for the BlackBerry PlayBook
Thursday March 22nd U.S. Cellular is adding its first 4G LTE device, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, to its cutting-edge device portfolio. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is now available at all U.S. Cellular retail locations and online at USCellular.com. The Android-powered tablet will run on the new 4G LTE network, with speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G, in markets where it is available and on U.S. Cellular’s nationwide 3G network in all other areas.
The sleek and functional tablet, combined with 4G LTE speed, ensures that busy multi-taskers can get what they want when they want it, while staying entertained on-the-go. With up to 12 hours of battery-life, 32 GB of storage, and a $399.99 price tag in select markets, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a great value compared to the iPad.
U.S. Cellular tablet customers will enjoy the Galaxy Tablet 10.1 on the only 4G LTE network with unique benefits, such as the first rewards program in wireless and faster device upgrades without continuously signing contracts, which is one of the reasons why we have the happiest customers in wireless.